5 Free Resources for Venture Capital & Private Equity Research
There are any number of subscription databases for researching venture capital and private equity, but as you know, our goal at bizologie is to help you find free information. To that end, we’ve compiled a list of 5 of our favorite free resources that provide great information for venture capital and private equity.
1. PricewaterhouseCoopers MoneyTree Report–Here you’ll find investments by region, industry and deal stage as well as historical trend data and definitions. They’ve also got a great report called “Roadmap for an IPO: A guide to going public“.
2. Prequin–Here you’ll find information on fundraising and deals. They also publish The Preqin Quarterly which “outlines the latest developments in the Private Equity,Real Estate and Infrastructure industries over the most recent quarter-year period.”
3. National Venture Capital Association–NVCA has a great “Stats & Research” page where you’ll find fund raising, performance and exit data. Near the bottom of the page you’ll see recent studies which includes the “NVCA Yearbook.” Their yearbook “details the state of the venture capital industry and detailed industry statistics for the past twenty years, including commitments, disbursements, IPOs, acquisitions and performance (most recent data is full year 2010).” At a whopping 122 pages, you won’t find a better free resource for all things venture capital.
4. Wall Street Journal’s Venture Capital Dispatch–”Produced by the editors of Dow Jones VentureWire, Venture Capital Dispatch tracks the fast-moving developments at the intersection of high-tech innovation and venture capital finance. Featuring the VentureWire reporting team in the Silicon Valley, New York, Boston and Shanghai tech centers, Venture Capital Dispatch provides insight into the newest start-ups and latest trends in venture capital investing.” This is a cool, one-stop place for daily VC happenings.
5. New York Times DealBook–”DealBook is a financial news service reporting on mergers, acquisitions, venture capital and hedge funds and is produced by The New York Times.”