As many of you know, April and I have been involved with the Special Libraries Division of Texas Library Association for several years. We've talked many times about the idea of doing a librarian fashion show of sorts during one of the annual conferences. Well, this year, our dreams are coming true. We're so excited about this year's TLA Annual Conference featuring the presentation "Personal Style with a Professional Twist". Here's the official description from TXLA:
See stylish outfits for job interviews and day-to-day work wear modeled by real librarians. A Nordstrom personal stylist advises on dressing for different budgets as well as how to wear the same outfit for different occasions.
Late last year, TLA put out a call for models and last week chose six librarians to participate and represent the following categories:
1. Up & Coming - Work attire for library students or librarians in the first 5 years of their career
2. Kiddie Business - Library staff who work with children or young adults
3. I Can Manage - Library staff with more than 3 years of experience and currently working in a management role
4. Guy Style - Just for the men
5. Choose Me - Job interview attire for library students or library staff who are looking for a new job
6. Check Me Out- Library staff working the front line reference or circulation desks
The six librarians chosen have been given a $150 stipend and will meet with a Nordstrom Personal Shopper in their area to pick out an outfit. They'll show off their new duds and talk about their experience during this year's Annual Conference. Additionally, a Personal Shopper from Nordstrom will talk to attendees about outfits for different occasions, including suiting and interview attire. We can't wait to see what everyone is wearing this year! And, of course, we'd love it if some of our Texas librarians ended up on Librarian Wardrobe. The presentation will be Friday, April 26 2:00-3:50.
Special thanks to all the divisions who helped us sponsor this wonderful event: The College and University Libraries Division, Library Support Staff Round Table, New Members Round Table, Public Libraries Division, Reference Round Table and Special Libraries Division. And an extra-special thanks to Ashlynn Kogut, Chair of Reference Round Table, for working so hard to put all this together!