Each week we round up a few interesting articles, reports and presentations that we believe are of particular interest in the VC/Startup Industry.
- Venture Capitalists Return to Backing Science Start-Ups, New York Times. "After years of shying away from science, engineering and clean-technology start-ups, investors are beginning to take an interest in them again, raising hopes among entrepreneurs in those areas that a long slump is finally over. But these start-ups face intense pressure to prove that their science can turn a profit more quickly than hot tech companies like Snapchat and Uber."
- More Big Venture-Backed Companies Shun IPOs, For Now, Wall Street Journal. "Number of Such Firms Valued at $1 Billion-Plus Hits a Record as Many Are Able to Get Funding Privately."
- 3 Ways That Turning Parking Spots Into Parklets Helps Businesses, The Atlantic CityLab. "They increase foot traffic, attention, and in some cases, spending."
- The doctor will see you now — through Google, VentureBeat. Speak with a doctor via Google Helpouts.
- University of Minnesota endowment takes bragging rights with top return for fiscal year, Pensions & Investments. "The smallest of the U.S. universities that have so far reported fiscal year returns for their endowments — University of Minnesota — notched up the biggest return at 20.4%."
- The Daily Startup: Venture M&A Went High Octane in Third Quarter, Wall Street Journal. "The latest acquisitions data from Dow Jones VentureSource offers more evidence that the venture industry is roaring along at its most impressive pace in years"
- Philips launches wearable for chronic illness, to make the internet of things medical-grade, Gigaom. "Philips and a Dutch university have built a wearable that will help patients with a chronic illness and their doctors track their health. Philips teamed up with Salesforce to get the data from its cloud into apps."
- 8 Things Your Enterprise Startup Must Have Before Approaching Investors, Techli. FYI, Bizologie can help you with #8 Market Knowledge.