On Friday, October 28th, the Texas Chapter of Special Library Association will present "Speed Dating with Technology Tools & Applications". Librarians from varying backgrounds (Oil & Gas, Law, Art, Business, Venture Capital, Journalism) will present a wide range of databases, web tools and apps. We hope to see you there, but just in case, below you'll find a list of our presentations as well as web links to the apps, websites, etc.
- Energy Industry Intelligence on the Go!--Energy industry intelligence on the go! Oil Daily, Natural Gas Week, Petroleum Intelligence Weekly and 11 other newsletters now available via our iPhone/iPad application. Presented by Betsy Harris from Energy Intelligence.
- It's Time to Put on Your Goggles! Using Google Goggles for Research--Have you ever had trouble identifying a painting? Would you like to translate text instantly without typing a thing? Learn how to do these things and more in this presentation about the Google Goggles app. Presented by Karen Holt from The University of Texas at Austin
- SharePoint Options to Improve Access to the Library--Using SharePoint to create Information Centers for Library Products and Legal Practices. Presented by Terri L. Lawrence from Winstead.
- Flipboard App for iPad--Flipboard is a digital social magazine that aggregates web links from your social circle, e.g. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. and displays the content in magazine form on an iPad. Presented by Laura Young from Austin Ventures
- Mailtester Web Tool--Mailtester allows users to confirm email addresses. Mailtester is perfect for helping track down addresses for CEOs or other company executives. Presented by Laura Young from Austin Ventures.
- Storing Documents--DocumentCloud is a Web-based tool for cataloging, annotating and sharing documents. Originally designed for journalists, it has excellent privacy settings and also excellent tools for publishing documents publicly. DocumentCloud provides a free service for journalistic organizations, but the DocumentCloud server software will be released free once the project is complete. Presented by Daniel Lathrop from the Dallas Morning News.
- Shortcuts for the iPhone--Learn shortcuts for creating webclips, how to move icons, organize home folders, use voice control, and more! Presented by Barbara Fullerton from Morningstar, Inc.